Monday 7 November 2016

THE EUCHARIST AND THE CHRISTIAN HEART. part 47.

TRANSLATED FROM THE FRENCH OF MONSEIGNEUR DE LA BOUILLERIE, Archbishop of Perga, Coadjutor of Bordeaux.

Regulate thus your life, then, O Christian soul. Once more, I do not demand of you that absolute retreat which might not suit either the duties of your position or the designs of Providence respecting you. But I ask you first to love that solitude which is none other than the habitual recollection of the heart. Then in the depth of this intimate sanctuary, which you will have formed in yourself, place the holy Eucharist.

You will take care to receive It often in holy communion; but you will especially strive to retain carefully in yourself the perfume of the Divine Presence. Thus the Eucharist will be your most constant and your sweetest companion in retreat. Believe it firmly, O Christian soul; you will suffice one for the other; and with what delight you will then love to say to It: "My beloved to me and I to Him." 

Holy and happy life ! Rejoicing in a deep peace, you will say with King David: "This is my rest for ever and ever."

And knowing that the Eucharist alone can fill this solitude of the heart, you will repeat with the same prophet: "There where the God of Sion dwells will I dwell. It is the place which I have chosen for myself."